Chicken tikka is a very popular Indian dish of juicy roasted chicken pieces served with mint chutney and onion salad. Traditionally, the chicken pieces are roasted in a tandoor which is a clay oven. Charcoal is burnt in tandoor to provide the heat required for cooking. I tried to recreate this dish at home on a tawa (flat non-stick pan). It is a very simple and yummy recipe. This can be served as an appetizer or in the main course, as I love to eat it, with curd rice. 😛
- Boneless chicken pieces: 500gms
- Hung Curd: 4 tbsp. Take 4 tbsp curd in a wet muslin cloth and tie it tightly so that the water starts separating from the curd. Hang this cloth for 3-4hrs or till the water drains completely. Alternately, if you have less time (like I did 😛 ), you can take the curd in a muslin cloth, tie it tightly and then squeeze it with hand to drain all the water from curd.
- Ginger-garlic & green chilly paste: Blend together 1 inch ginger, 5-6 cloves garlic and 2-3 green chillies to a smooth paste.
- Lemon juice: Juice of half lemon
- Kasuri methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves): 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
- Red chilly powder: 2 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1tsp
- Salt: 2 tsp
- Ghee/Butter: 2 tsp
- Oil: 4-5 tbsp
- Prepare marinade: In a bowl, mix together hung curd, ginger-garlic-green chilly paste, lemon juice, kasuri methi, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, salt and ghee.
- Wash the chicken pieces and cut slits on them.
- Put the chicken in the marinade and mix it well with hands such that each piece gets good amount of the marinade coating.
- Marinate the chicken for 2-4 hrs.
- Frying the chicken: On a non-stick tawa, add oil and place the chicken pieces on it.
- Cook it on medium flame for 2-3mins then flip the pieces.
- Cook it from all sides till the outer surface get crisp.
- Serve it hot with mint cutney and onion salad.
Do let me know your comments if you try out this recipe 🙂